HOURS

See our NEW Website for more info!

PLEASE HELP RECYCLE!

Drop off your plastic bags and canning jars at the orchard and we'll re-use them!

We're always looking for wagons for people to use when they go to our pumpkin patch - feel free to drop off your old or un-used wagons at the orchard!

We're also happy to take any picnic tables you're getting rid of - even if it's just the 'bones' of the table.

Thanks!

Apple Varieties Available

  • closed for the 2019 season

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Top 10 Fall Farms!

Persimon Dreams

Order your very Own Lapacek's Orchard T-Shirt

Gymboree Sale On Now!
Janie and Jack Sale on Now

Where Can you Find Us?

Please check out our NEW website and blog to stay informed on Lapacek's Orchard.

N1959 Kroncke Road
Poynette, WI 53955

Take Hwy 51 North from Madison, go straight onto Hwy 22, turn east (right) onto Hwy 60 almost immediately. Drive 2 miles and go North (left) onto Kroncke Road. We're just over a mile on the left-hand side.

Want to talk to someone?
(608) 635-4780

Be sure to subscribe to our new You Tube Channel - "Cider After Dark"!

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Saucesational–An Experiment in Applesauce: Red Gravenstein

In 2010 and 2011 we planted many of our ‘new’ varieties of apples.  Some of the odder ones that we weren’t quite sure of we just planted 5 of each tree.  This season we’re starting to get enough apples off these trees to give you all a ‘try’ and get some feedback – do you like them?  Should we plant more?

Red Gravenstein is one of those varieties.  Diane likes these apples for fresh eating.  If they’re still around when you stop in the store be sure to ask for a sample.

Since we had a few apples I decided I should sauce them and see what I thoughtred gravensteins

So, yesterday I tossed them into the crock pot to see what happened.

The flavor was decent – appley, a bit sharp, and definitely some tartness to it.  I was not a fan of the texture.  It seemed a bit slimy to me.  Looking at the description we’ve read about Red Gravenstein’s is that they should hold their shape when cooked.  I’m thinking maybe I left them in the crock pot too long…I may have to try these again next year and see what happens. 

I’m sure you all know that we’re pretty busy during the season.  To keep myself full and satisfied until I have time for lunch I make a special oatmeal.  I’m not a fan of oatmeal…but I’ve discovered that if you use 1/2 water and 1/2 applesauce (yes, I use instant) when you cook it, it’s almost like a faux apple crisp for breakfast.  Once it’s done cooking I like to add some granola to the top to fix the texture of the oatmeal into something a bit more crunchy.  It’s really not too bad and since our apple sauce has no added sugar or preservatives it’s actually pretty darn good for you too.

Anyway – my point of the oatmeal story was that I used my Red Gravenstein sauce in the oatmeal and it tasted pretty good mixed in.  Much of that weird texture was lost once it was mixed. 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...